Drunk Driving Cases and Public Records


Drunk driving is considered a serious crime. So when a person is convicted of such an offense, the incident is put on this individual's public criminal record and may remain there long after the initial penalties are paid.

Public records, including drunk driving offenses, can be accessed by anyone, including potential employers and insurance companies. Police, of course, can access previous charges. In fact, a prior record of drunk driving may result in stronger penalties and more serious charges if you are arrested for DUI again.

Negative Consequences of DUI on Public Record

A DUI charge or conviction can have a very negative effect on a person’s record. It may make securing a job or renting an apartment much more difficult. A potential employer might find out about an applicant’s DUI conviction, for instance, after doing a background check.

An individual arrested or convicted of a previous DUI may also endure much higher premiums on insurance policies. Additionally, people who rely on a valid driver’s license for employment could find their driving privileges suspended or revoked by the court system. Hefty fines might be required for the license to be reinstated.

Furthermore, a DUI conviction may erase any future hope of attaining a position that includes driving as part of the responsibilities. In many states, with drunk driving arrest on your record you may not be able to obtain or keep a commercial driver's license.

How DUI Arrests May Affect Future Penalties

Most states have strict DUI laws that take previous convictions into account. Depending on the state’s laws, two or more DUI arrests on a person’s record may raise a DUI charge to a felony.

If convicted of a DUI felony, this individual could face up to more than a year of jail time in addition to any other charges that might be involved in the crime.

In addition, multiple DUI arrests typically result in longer jail sentences, higher fines and longer driver's license suspensions. In some cases, multiple DUI arrests on your record may result in prison time or car repossession.

Protect Your Record: Speak with a DUI Attorney

It may be difficult to clear your record once it has a drunk driving conviction. That's why many people choose to fight their charges with the help of a local DUI lawyer. A lawyer may help you build a defense, challenge the evidence against you and fight to keep your record clean.

PAID ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: THIS WEB SITE IS A GROUP ADVERTISEMENT AND THE PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS ARE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY PAY AN ADVERTISING FEE. It is not a lawyer referral service or prepaid legal services plan. Total DUI is not a law firm.  Your request for contact will be forwarded to the local lawyer who has paid to advertise in the ZIP code you provide. Total DUI does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who participates in the network nor does it analyze a person's legal situation when determining which participating lawyers receive a person's inquiry. It does not make any representation and has not made any judgement as to the qualifications, expertise or credentials of any participating lawyer. The information contained herein is not legal advice. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. Any information you submit to Total DUI does not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege. Do not use the form to submit confidential, time-sensitive, or privileged information. All photos are of models and do not depict clients. All case evaluations are performed by participating attorneys. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here or call 866-200-8052.

FLORIDA ONLY: Total DUI is considered a lawyer referral service in the state of Florida under the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct. By all other standards, Total DUI is a group advertisement and not a lawyer referral service.

If you live in Mississippi, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here for additional information.