Virginia DUI Laws
Virginia DUI penalties have you concerned? A DUI attorney can answer your questions!
Virginia DUI laws are tough. They carry increased penalties for higher BAC levels and minimum fines. Breath test refusals may be treated as civil or criminal charges. But DUI charges in the state don't guarantee convictions. To protect your rights, you need answers. One way to get the information you need is by speaking with a DUI lawyer.
Virginia DUI attorneys can answer any questions you may have about the laws in the state and how they will affect your DUI case. Getting this information soon will help you make important decisions about your DUI case.
For a free DUI case evaluation and to speak with a Virginia DUI attorney near you, simply fill out the form on this page or call toll free 877-349-1311.
The penalties for DUI in Virginia, even if this is your first DUI charge, are serious. Refusing a breath test in Virginia means you could be charged with a criminal offense and lose your driver's license for one year.
Virginia DUI Penalties
First DUI Conviction
- Minimum $250 fine
- 1-year driver's license revocation
- Installation of an ignition interlock device if your BAC is greater than .15
- Mandatory jail sentences for BACs above .15 and .20
Second DUI Conviction (within 5 years)
- Minimum $500 fine
- 3-year driver's license revocation
- Mandatory ignition interlock device installation
- 20 days to one year in jail
Third DUI Conviction (within 10 years)
- $1,000 fine
- Indefinite license revocation
- Forfeiture of vehicle if you're the sole owner
- Mandatory 90-day jail sentence (Six month minimum if third offense in 5 years)
Penalties for Refusal
- First refusal: One-year license suspension, civil offense
- Second refusal: Three-year driver's license suspension, criminal offense
A local DUI attorney can answer any questions you might have about the laws in Virginia or your specific DUI case. To speak with a DUI attorney near you today, fill out the free case
evaluation form on this page or call us, toll free, at 877-349-1311.
Note: Laws may have changed since our last update. For the latest information on these DUI laws, speak to a local DUI lawyer in the state.
The Virginia DUI penalty list is by no means all-inclusive. DUI penalties may vary based on a variety of factors, including your prior driving record.