Results Are in for 2007 Labor Day Weekend DUI Arrests
By: Chris Kramer
While Labor Day 2007 has come and gone, its effects will continue to be felt for quite some time, especially for those people who were arrested on suspicion of DUI at some point over the weekend.
Many states participated in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) "Drunk Driving: Over the Limit - Under Arrest" campaign during the Labor Day weekend while other states had been participating in their own DUI initiatives.
While some DUI enforcement campaigns were solely concentrated with Labor Day weekend (from Friday evening to the early morning hours of Tuesday morning), other efforts were part of larger crackdowns extending for periods of more than two weeks.
Here are just some state numbers for 2007 Labor Day DUI arrests:
- 1,580 people were arrested on suspicion of California DUI during a 78-hour period of Labor Day weekend. These Labor Day DUI arrest totals in California were down as compared to last year's total of 1,749 arrests for the weekend. Unfortunately, the number of fatalities in drunk driving accidents doubled this year as compared to the 2006 Labor Day weekend. Specifically, nine people were killed in California drunk driving accidents this year as compared to four people during last year's holiday weekend.
- 1,722 Colorado DUI arrests were made through an 18-day enforcement period beginning on August 17th and finishing at the end of Labor Day. 1,969 Colorado DUI arrests were made during a similar time period last year. This Colorado DUI enforcement was part of the state's "The Heat Is On" DUI campaign.
- 776 people were arrested for Arizona DUI as of Labor Day. In comparison, 734 people were arrested for Arizona DUI at state checkpoints during last year's Labor Day weekend. Of further interest, 296 of this year's Labor Day DUI arrests in Arizona were considered to be extreme DUIs with blood alcohol content (BAC) levels of .15 percent or higher. It is course illegal to be driving or operating a vehicle with a BAC of 0.08 percent or higher under the DUI laws in all 50 states. This year's Arizona DUI figures as of Labor Day also included arrests of six people with prior DUI convictions, four people for underage drinking and driving, and one person for driving under the influence of drugs.
- More than 500 people were cited for various offenses, including Delaware DUI and unsafe lane changes. Of further interest, 24 people were arrested on drug charges in Delaware over the Labor Day weekend.
- Mississippi DUI arrests for this year's Labor Day weekend were down as compared to last year. Specifically, 132 Mississippi DUI arrests were made statewide this Labor Day weekend as compared to 203 DUI arrests during last year's holiday weekend.
If you were arrested and charged with DUI over Labor Day weekend and have not yet talked to a DUI lawyer, consider taking immediate action. DUI attorneys can help you examine the details in your case and move forward, so don't delay before it gets way too late to do anything about your charges.