Visiting Canada with a DUI Record


If you have a DUI on your record and you’re planning a trip to Canada, be prepared. There may be lots of paperwork involved. The reason behind this potential difficulty is that Canada classifies DUIs as automatic felonies. So having a DUI on your record means a visit to Canada could require a stringent approval process or you could be barred from entering the country entirely.

Entering Canada with DUI Record

One of the ways you may be able to enter Canada’s borders if you have a DUI is by applying for a temporary resident permit. However, you must have a compelling reason for this visit and letters of recommendation and other documentation may be required. Unfortunately, this may be the only option for entering Canada if your DUI took place in the last five years.

But if your DUI sentence ended more than five years ago, you may have the option of applying for an Approval of Rehabilitation. The process to attain this approval, however, entails many in-depth steps, including obtaining your FBI record and police records from every state where you’ve lived since the age of 18.

Additionally, you must provide a complete list of home addresses and employers from the age of 18 as well. You can also expect to pay significant fees for this extensive process.

If your DUI sentence is over ten years old and meet certain requirements, you could be eligible for what’s called “Deemed Rehabilitation" to gain access to Canada.

Ask a DUI Attorney About Visiting Canada With a DUI

Before visiting Canada with a DUI on your record, you might consider getting further information on what to expect. A DUI attorney in your state could provide answers on the steps you might have to take for a trip to Canada while having a DUI in your past. Just fill out the form below to connect with an attorney today.

PAID ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: THIS WEB SITE IS A GROUP ADVERTISEMENT AND THE PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS ARE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY PAY AN ADVERTISING FEE. It is not a lawyer referral service or prepaid legal services plan. Total DUI is not a law firm.  Your request for contact will be forwarded to the local lawyer who has paid to advertise in the ZIP code you provide. Total DUI does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who participates in the network nor does it analyze a person's legal situation when determining which participating lawyers receive a person's inquiry. It does not make any representation and has not made any judgement as to the qualifications, expertise or credentials of any participating lawyer. The information contained herein is not legal advice. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. Any information you submit to Total DUI does not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege. Do not use the form to submit confidential, time-sensitive, or privileged information. All photos are of models and do not depict clients. All case evaluations are performed by participating attorneys. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here or call 866-200-8052.

FLORIDA ONLY: Total DUI is considered a lawyer referral service in the state of Florida under the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct. By all other standards, Total DUI is a group advertisement and not a lawyer referral service.

If you live in Mississippi, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here for additional information.