Discuss Your DUI Charges with a Virginia DUI Lawyer
By: Chris Kramer
If you've been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI) in Virginia, you can speak with a DUI lawyer to learn your options. Virginia DUI laws are complex and strict - penalties for conviction are influenced by how high your blood alcohol content (BAC) is and your history with DUI arrests and convictions. You could find out more about the legal protections available to you and understand the nuances of Virginia DUI law. A Virginia DUI lawyer could be your resource.
Virginia DUI Penalties
First DUI Conviction
- $250 minimum fine
- 1-year driver's license revocation
- Installation of an ignition interlock device (if your BAC is greater than .15%)
Second DUI Conviction (within 5 years)
- $500 minimum fine
- 3-year driver's license revocation
- Mandatory ignition interlock device installation
- Up to 1 year in jail
Third DUI Conviction (within 10 years)
- $1,000 fine
- Indefinite license revocation
- Forfeiture of vehicle (if you're the sole owner)
- Mandatory 90-day jail sentence
Can You Refuse a Breath Test?
Penalties for Refusal
- 1st refusal: 1-year driver's license suspension, civil offense
- 2nd refusal: 3-year driver's license suspension, criminal offense
Virginia DUI Resources
Fight for Your Freedom with Help from a Virginia DUI Lawyer
Even if you've already been charged with DUI, it's not too late to fight for your rights. AVirginia DUI lawyer can explain some common defenses to DUI charges, such as challenging results of a breath test, challenging the testimony of an arresting officer or asking the court to dismiss evidence against you.
If you're ready to take steps to protect your finances, your freedom and your future, call us today at 1 (877) 349-1311 or fill out our free case evaluation form, and we'll connect you with a Virginia DUI lawyer.
Note: DUI laws may have changed since our last update. For the latest information on these DUI laws, speak to a DUI lawyer in the state.