Weird DUI News Roundup for August

By Topher

Here’s a round-up of the latest bizarre DUI news from across the country, including an update the goat rescued in a DUI checkpoint.

Bride-to-Be Gets DUI Hours Before Wedding

According to an Associated Press article, a bride headed home from her bachelorette party was driving drunk with a blood alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit. She was arrested only a few hours before she was scheduled to make her vows.

The Seattle Times reports that she was pulled over for going 90 m.p.h. and weaving in and out of traffic on an interstate highway.

When state troopers pulled her over, she said she would be getting married the following afternoon.

This wasn’t her first DUI, and the process apparently went quickly as she was booked and released in time to make her wedding.

Florida Man Gets Arrested for DUI Twice in 48 Hours

The Gainesville Sun released a report on Antony David Dees and his two DUI arrests in two days.

Police were dispatched to a hit-and-run on Thursday, August 19 at 3 a.m. Witnesses and physical evidence linked Dees to the incident which occurred barely 48 hours after being charged with refusing to submit to a breathalyzer test.

Dees was additionally charged with DUI causing property damage, hit and run, leaving the scene of the crime, and driving on a suspended license. He was booked into the Alachua County Jail with a bond set at $170,000.

North Pole DUI Retrial

The Anchorage Daily News reports that a North Pole woman will get a retrial because she claims she was only driving drunk to escape her ex-boyfriend.

The Alaska Supreme Court ruled that the woman had grounds for an acquittal under the necessity defense. She will be acquitted if she can prove that she felt she had no other option to escape her violent ex-boyfriend and that drunk driving was safer than remaining where she was.

Strange DUI Update: Woman Convicted, Goat Gets New Home

A few weeks ago, we published a story about a routine DUI stop that turned into animal cruelty charges when a goat was found tied up in the very hot trunk of a car during the middle of summer.

If you’re wondering what happened to the goat and the driver, the news is out: The Associated Press reports that Fiona Enderby has been convicted of animal cruelty under Virginia law and has been fined $100.

As for the goat, WSET News reports that he has been adopted by Danny Johnson, owner of Peaks and Otter Winery, and has been named Trunk, in honor of his harrowing ordeal.

According to Johnson, he’s become quite famous and people come to the winery solely to visit him. He’s also become quite popular with the goat ladies, and is expecting kids. Fairy tales do come true.

Be Sociable, Share!

One Response so far

Good deal for the goat. The lady should have been locked up for a while so she can see how it feels.